1. "Monk" (tv series): A great comedy and drama about an obsessive compulsive detective who suffers a breakdown after his wife's murder, but still works as a police consultant. Amazing acting by the title character played by Tony Shalhoub, as each week's episode sees our hero solve a murder case while battling OCD, and slowly trying to put his life back together with his assistant/confidante Natalie, and best friend Capt. Stottlemyre. This show blends a perfect mix of comedy and drama that and gives equal focus to the week's case, as well as "the bigger picture", with some episodes focusing on Monk working to get his badge back, and find his wife's killer(s). Now entering its final season, this is definitely one to buy on DVD, and try to catch up on.
2. "True Romance" (movie): Tarantino's first screenplay, that has a nice mix of comedy, drama, suspense, action, and of course a great love story. It's impossible not to fall in love with Clarence and Alabama. I don't want to give away too many spoilers, but ffs Tarantino wrote it, that should be enough. The "Sicilian" scene is simply amazing, with Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper at their best, and look out for an absolutely hilarious yet brief appearance from Brad Pitt as a pot head friend of the heroes.
3. "Mulholland Drive" (movie): David Lynch turns in a complete masterpiece in one of the greatest mindfuck movies ever made. After my first viewing I simply sat in complete shock, with absolutely no idea what I had just seen (but in a good way if that makes sense). Kind of like Pulp Fiction/Memento, in the sense that there are a billion different story lines and random characters inserted, and the order in which things happen is extremely confusing, but MD takes it to a whole new level. Naomi Watts turns in her usual outstanding performance, hitting every single range of emotion one can experience in life with dead-on perfection. She is one of the most talented and beautiful women in Hollywood in this blogger's opinion.
4. "Why Women Can't Drive" (youtube): I know a lot of my blog posts seem really misogynistic, but I really am not one. Women are awesome, I treat them with nothing but respect, and I love them, but this video is absolutely hilarious, and a must see regardless of your gender.
5. The Pico Rivera King Taco at midnight on a Friday or Saturday night. Paul will vouch for me on this one. It really is quite the site to see. Basically the entire city of Pico is present, and it is not uncommon for it to take over half an hour from the time you enter the door, until the time you get your food (and they prepare food hella fast). But, as soon as you take that first bite, you remember why you waited so long.