Monday, December 7, 2009

"A Christmas Story" Chapter 3

Wow now that I'm actually writing this and getting into the story, I am realizing how incredibly teh ghey this story is. I mean this is seriously like Twilight bad, pretty sure by the end of the story my man card will be burnt beyond all recognition, and/or I'm going to come out of the closet. I can say with 100% certainty that if this were a movie I would NOT watch it, but yet at the same time, this is actually kind of fun to write, just because it is so NOT me, and is presenting some fun challenges to my writing style.

Chapter 3

Back to the present day December 3

Halfway through the second quarter, the Knicks were still trailing by 10 points, when the pizza arrived. Charlie answered the door, paid the delivery man, grabbed another round of beers from the fridge, and they began to devour their (half-everything-his, half-pepperoni and mushrooms-hers) pizza.

"Hey I got Giants tickets for this Sunday if you want to go. Actually, on second thought, it's Cowboys week, you're going, end of story". Charlie demanded

"Well I'm working an 8 hour graveyard, but I should be off by 9, unless I get stuck in which case I'll be there until noon, but we've got a 4 o'clock game right?"

"Umm YEA, how do you not know this, it's Cowboys week for fuck's sake"

"Ehh shove it" as she kicks his feet off the table, and gives him a playful shove.

"No you stop it" as he pushes her back. They continue this childish behavior until she finally acquiesces, "Of course I'll go, how many tickets do you have?"

"Four, Tony already said he's in, and I'm sure Patty will be game to go as well"

"Cool, I'm in then" she answers.

Sunday December 6, 2009 St. Luke's Hospital 8:00 am

Rachel and best friend Patty are coming to the end of their shift, and are excited for the big game, when they get a new patient:

"Hey Rach" Patty says, "you've got a new one, Room 3602, car accident, a couple broken bones, but nothing too serious, and he's kind of cute"

"Alright, I'll check on him" Rachel responds. She grabs his chart, and enters the patient's room: "Michael Chan" she asks him.

"Yes" he answers, and as he turns and looks at her, their eyes lock, and they cannot look away from one another.

"I'm your nurse Rachel, how are you feeling sweetie" she continues nervously

"I've felt better" he responds, "but I already feel better with you here"

She pretends to ignore the comment, although she is clearly flustered, and starts to turn red. "Well you've got a couple of broken bones, you're going to have to stay here and rehab for a week or so, but it doesn't look like you're going to need any surgery", she answers. "I'll be here all week, so if you need anything don't be afraid to ask me or any of the other nurses"

"Well now that you ask, can I eat some food"

"Sure, I'll have the orderly bring you a breakfast menu" she replies. "Alright, just buzz me if you need anything. Take care" she continues, as she exits the room and looks back at him while exiting.

She goes back to the central nursing station on the 3rd floor and reconvenes with Patty, inputting Michael's chart data into the computer system. "You were right" Rachel explains to Patty, "he is pretty cute, and he was kind of hitting on me too"

"Well go for it girl, you've got all week to charm and woo him over"

"I think I already have" she responds.

Half an hour later, she has to go back to Michael's room to check his vital signs.

"So how did you get into this accident, if you don't mind me asking" she asks

"Ehh some jerk ran a red light, he'll definitely be hearing from my lawyer" Mike replies

"Ohh I'm sorry, well we're going to do the best that we can to get you out of here as soon as possible" Rachel says comforting him, as she takes his blood pressure and heart rate, both of which are registering much higher than previous checks: "Alright Mike you have to relax, and breathe easy, you're vitals are pretty high right now. We're not going to hurt you"

"That's not why they're high, I think it's because you're the one taking them"

"Ohh well that's sweet" she says blushing,

"Do you have a boyfriend" Mike asks her

She hesitates, but answers "Not at the moment, just kind of waiting for the right guy"

"Well maybe when this is all over, I can take you out for cup of coffee?" he asks

"I'll tell you what" she retorts "if you're a good patient...and don't cause me any trouble" she says jokingly, "I'll take you up on that offer".

"Alright I'm going to hold you to that" he responds coyly, gently pointing at her.

Rachel looks at her watch, realizing that her shift is over, and tells Mike that she will be back tomorrow night for her next shift. Patty and her grab their things for what should be an exciting day of tailgating and football. Rachel is walking with an extra pep in her step, and Patty starts and continues to hassle her about Michael, and as they walk into the cold New York morning, anything and everything seems possible, as for the first time in a LONG time Rachel feels the rush of excitement in meeting someone that excited her.

No comments:

Post a Comment