For those of you who don't know, Tennessee Head Coach, and former USC Asst/Offensive Coordinator/Recruiting Coordinator is going to be the next head coach of the USC Trojans. While I really wanted Riley, he didn't want the job, and I really like the hire for the following reasons.
First, here are my concerns:
- Lack of experience as a head coach, and had a very tumultuous tenure with the LOL Raiders
- Has earned a bad reputation as a jerk and a weasel
- Obviously concerned that his tenure will be short, and he could easily jump to the NFL if he has any sort of success
- He was here before. He helped put together the dynasty at SC, and was even recruiting coordinator for a couple of years. The man knows how to recruit, and hopefully will be able to retain some of our committed recruits, and possibly bring a couple of the guys who committed to Tennessee as well.
- He's not afraid to say what's on his mind. The world of college football is tough and cutthroat where only the strong survive, and I know that Kiffin will have his players' backs. The man stood up to Al Davis, and called out Urban Meyer who's SEC Royalty ffs. The swagger that he brings with him is not unlike that of Jimmy Johnson with Miami, and might be the right type of attitude that will suit that of some of his players. This game isn't about being well-liked, it's about winning football games.
- He's bringing his father, vaunted NFL Defensive Coordinator Monte Kiffin, as well as recruiting coordinator/D-Line coach, and former Trojan assistant Ed Orgeron, whose return will be greatly appreciated. The addition of these two to our coaching staff will hopefully the Trojans regain the discipline that has been sorely lacking in teams from the past few seasons, and improve a defense that was shredded nearly all season long.
- The juries still out, I hope it works out, this is definitely a "risky" hire, but with LOI day less than a month away, a decision had to be made quickly. Best of luck to Lane, and Fight On!