Friday, December 18, 2009

A Christmas Story Chapter 7

Chapter 7

December 8, 2009 still

As Rachel walks into Mike's room, he asks: "Where have you been? I was beginning to worry that I wasn't going to see you again."

(chuckling) "It was my day off, but I'll be here the rest of the week to take care of you, although I have to warn you, some of my patients get a little bit sick of me after a while. I'm a very demanding nurse."

"Ohh I can't imagine anyone getting sick of you" Mike replies, "it would be like getting sick of Christmas."

"Hey there's people who don't like Christmas, although I can't see how" Rachel replies.

"Yea but they're just scrooge's who are empty inside"

They continue with their playful banter and witty little flirtations throughout the week, but don't extend their conversations too far beyond that, while at the same time rehabilitating Mike to get out of the hospital before the weekend. When Mike is finally cleared to leave on Thursday evening, he pulls Rachel aside:

"Hey Rachel. Thanks for taking care of me all week. I know we haven't really gotten to know each other that well, but I'd like to. Umm...You want to get dinner sometime this weekend?" he asks

"Yea Mike, that sounds great. I'm off Sunday, how about Sunday night?"

"Sunday night works great. I know this great little Italian place a couple miles from here."

They exchange numbers, pleasantries, and agree to call each other the next day.

Meanwhile, at home, Rachel and Charlie who had both had very busy work weeks, and with some lingering tension still existing between them, had been virtual ghosts to each other all week. However, when Rachel gets home, Charlie is waiting for her. He approaches, and offers her an apology:

"Rach, I'm sorry for what I said, it was unthoughful, rude, and untrue. I should have made this apology days ago, but I just didn't know what to say, so I'm just going to say it. You're an amazing person, the best friend anyone could ever ask for, and any guy would be lucky to have you. You're going to find him, he's waiting out there for you, and when you find him, you're going to experience a happiness that you've never known before."

"Aww thanks Charlie. Look I know you didn't mean any harm, you were a little drunk and stupid, but that's all."

"So we're still cool?" he asks.

"Hey we've been friends since kindergarten. I've seen you do and say a lot of stupid shit, and we're still friends, of course we're still cool. If I didn't have you, who would I go to games with? Who would I talk sports with? What the hell would I do in all my spare time? Cook? ha. You're still the man Charles!"

They give each other the obligatory fistbump, and share a laugh.

"Alright, since we're still cool then, guess who's the most awesome friend ever?" Charlie asks, as he busts out two tickets for a luxury box suite for Sunday's Night game between the Giants and the Eagles.

Rachel swells with excitement, until she remembers her date with Mike: "Actually, I can't, you know that patient that I was telling you about?"

"Yes?"

"Well we're kind of going out on a date this Sunday night. I mean, wow our own box. It's hard to turn that down, but, it's my only day off this weekend, and I really like this guy, so I'm going to have to pass. Take Tony instead. He'll appreciate more than me anyways." she responds.

Charlie tries to brush it off, but is clearly disappointed: "Alright I'll do that. Umm, good luck on your date Rach. I hope he's everything you're looking for."

"Thanks"

Per their usual friday night tradition, they order wings, a pizza, and drink beer while watching all the basketball and hockey games of the evening. At halftime of the Rangers game, one of Charlie's girls gives him a ring. He looks down at the number, and puts the phone away.

"Aren't you going to answer it?" Rachel asks.

"No, it's just one of my lady friends"

"LOL "Ladies""

"Yea yea. I'm not down for that tonight. Tonight, it's just you and me" Charlie replies.

"Wow, Charles Gruber turning down sex with a morally flexible younger woman for me. I feel like I just won the lottery". Rachel snidely comments.

"Shut up and watch the game" he responds comicly throwing a finished wing at her. She throws it back at him, and they continue watching the night's games in a half-drunken state, just like they always have.

No comments:

Post a Comment