Thursday, February 18, 2010

Movie Critics

Just perusing Rotten Tomatoes, and it just amazes me what passes for journalism these days. This can and frequently extends to the sports world, but more on that another day. Now, I'm not professing to be the world's expert on journalism, and critique/criticism, but I do know enough about journalism and writing to tell the people who know what they're doing from the hacks who fill their columns with epic garbage or bullshit that even they themselves can't believe just in the hope of "shocking" readers into reading their columns.

There's really no point to this rant, there's just a couple "critics" on RT whom it just astonishes me that they still have a job and are published on rotten. Reminds me of an episode of Monk where a critic reviewed a play, that he didn't actually see because he was out committing a murder, and anybody who read his column and saw the play knew that had to know that he wasn't really there. Doubt some of these critics really watch the movies they are reviewing. Once again, I'm no film expert, but I do know a masterpiece when I see one, and when I see these asshats getting paid to trash masterpieces, regardless of their motives, I get pissed the fuck off at them for their desperation to make a mark in the industry by "being different".

Being a great writer isn't about being different, or innovative, but about using what you've learned both in your writing career and your life experiences, to convey to your readers your true and honest opinions. Now while said opinions may not always be "right" or popular, honesty can always be appreciated and respected.

No comments:

Post a Comment